Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflections of Motherhood

I have hunted my computer high and low and discovered the strangest thing... I have no picture of just my mom, or just my mom and I... so I write this all with no picture... boo...

mummy (yes, I totally call my mom, mummy and have no shame in it!) - this summer we'll have to get a pic of the two of us! I can't believe I don't have one!!

When I was a teen I went out of my way to distance myself from my mother until she was diagnosed with cancer. I have no idea why I was so horrible prior to the cancer and wish so much that I could go back in time and smack myself. I'm so happy now though as I would consider her one of my closest friends and biggest inspirations.

When I was 16 she was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and began treatment right away. Through out her 4 surgeries and 6 months of chemo therapy (12 treatments, 2 per month), she insisted on staying strong for our family often telling us she had the strength to beat the illness. She literally fought for her life with such grace, determination and faith, concerning herself with our needs, not her own. She has been cancer free for 10 years now but the lessons in selflessness and love she taught me during those times will forever be with me.
She has taught me how to have strength and determination when facing difficulties, faith even when it's challenging, to put others needs before my own even when it's hard and to love with every inch of myself. I am so thankful my mom is mine and thank God everyday that he choose to continue sharing her with us.
I love you mummy!!

Happy Mother's Day ladies!


No comments: