Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chocolate Cake

For years I have been on the hunt for the perfect homemade chocolate cake. I've tried ones with coffee, root beer, melted chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate chips, cake flour, all purpose flour, no flour... I have found many "all right" recipes, but never "the" recipe.

Until now of course! One of my biggest issues with homemade cakes is I often find them remarkably dense and borderline too dry; especially when you consider the amount of work most involve. This cake is moist and chewy and mouth wateringly delicious and so super simple to make.
I made this intending to send 3/4's - 1/2 of the cake in to work with my mister... it never left my house and I think it was gone within 2 days...


Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Pour boiling water over cocoa powder and stir until the cocoa is dissolved. Allow to cool. Whisk in sour cream.
Beat butter and sugars together until light (roughly 5 minutes). Add eggs one at a time and then mix in the cocoa mixture and vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt over the batter and fold gently until completely combined.
Divide the batter between two 9" pans and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until a tester comes out clean.

Ice with your most favourite chocolate icing! 

**recipe can be found in this book**

No comments: