Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kettle Corn

Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. The buttery salted goodness is always a welcome treat in my mouth. When I was little we had a pop corn popper that I loved. We would always pop the corn into a big green Tupperware bowl, pour melted butter and salt over the warm popped kernels and then fight over who got to eat the ones at the bottom of the bowl that were always extra buttery.
I have been dreaming about non microwave popcorn, because no matter what you say there IS a difference, but we don't have a popping machine and were pretty unprepared to buy one.
So I decided it was time to attempt old fashioned, on the stove kettle corn and let me tell you! I will never return to microwave pop corn again (not to mention it's so much cheaper to buy just the kernels).


Kettle Corn
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup pop corn kernels

Warm the oil, in a pot that has a tight fitting lid, over medium heat. Once the oil is warm add the butter and allow to melt then add your kernels (in as even a layer as possible) and raise the heat to medium high. Cover with your lid and allow the magic to happen. Once your kernels start to pop slightly open your lid to allow out some steam, replace the lid and shake shake shake! I shake mine quite regularly, probably every 10-15 seconds but I think you could get away with waiting 30 seconds each time. Keep shaking until the popping slows down, slightly open the lid to allow more steam to escape, remove from heat, give another shake for luck and there you have it!

Add extra butter, salt or whatever other topping your little heart can come up with.
Mmmm....mmmmm!!

No comments: