Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Parenting

Parenting is a hard and thankless job.
I think as parents/mothers we tend to set intensely high standards and expectations that no one can live up to, especially ourselves.
I have a list of expectations for myself as a mother.
I know the kind of mother I want to be and the mother I want my boys to remember and I often feel I fall short of the high bar I have set.
I love my boys an indescribable amount, as I'm sure any parent will say about their kids, but man-oh man, can they be pains!
We are currently really struggling with Eli.
He can be a difficult and strong willed child, which makes discipline so hard.
My boys are pretty much exact opposites which makes life interesting, but also chaotic. 
What worked for Zac never works for Eli and vice versa.

They have worn me into the ground the last few weeks. 
Neither of them are listening and discipline has become a lost art. It seems nothing I do works, they just refuse to listen.
I'm hoping it's just a phase... and if it is I'm getting impatient waiting for it to end...
All these doubting thoughts about my ability to parent have made me wonder, as parents are we ever really satisfied with the job we are doing? Do we ever do enough?
And if we do, will we ever see it?

**pictures are from a visit to a fire station with my father in law, they had such fun!**

No comments: