Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February's Books

This month revolved around mostly one book for me I'm afraid...


The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover
I found this book a bit of a challenge to read.
The story follows the Price family into a small village in the congo as missionaries. Nathan Price is a hard headed baptist preacher determined to save and baptize all the people in the village come hell or high water. Although his voice is never portrayed in the book it does follow his actions through the lives of his 4 daughters and his wife.
The story is told through the Price girls and it follows them from their mid/late teens up into their 50's.
I am not at all politically minded so the political aspects of the book, discussing the independence in the congo during the 1960's made this book a hard one for me to really get into.
Would I recommend it? Probably, as it was really well written and I did find it an enjoyable read until the politics came in...

...I did fit another quick read in though too...
I loved this book! 
Coming off The Poinsonwood Bible I needed an easy and cozy read and this one did not disappoint. I actually read it all in one evening. 
There is no complicated summary to this book, it simply follows the adventures of the children (also a hedgehog and onion headed boy), that live at Oddfellow's Orphanage.
It's an "early chapter book" full of Emily's wonderful drawings.
I really couldn't have enjoyed this book more and I look forward to reading it with my kids! 

What are you reading right now?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, I love all of Emily's artwork.

I have been meaning to get this book.