Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chocolate Chip Squares

I don't have a lot of memories from my childhood. 
Not because I had a horrible one or anything, I actually had a fantastic life growing up; I just think I have a crappy memory.
One thing that I do remember though is these Chocolate Chip Squares.
My mom worked full time so it was always something special when ever baked goods were made. This one was an easy family pleaser she pulled out of her sleeve every once in a while.
Truth be told, I want to say we had these a lot... but given the quality of my memory there is a chance we didn't have these as often as I think we did and I just remember each occasion with an extreme amount of excitement.
Either way, these are tasty and super easy. 
You make them in the microwave people!
5 minutes to whip them up, 5-7 minutes of baking time and then eat eat eat... perhaps you should allow some time for cooling, but either way a yummy treat in less then 30 minutes!
THAT is what I'm talkin' about! 

Chocolate Chip Squares
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a small mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla, mixing well.
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mixture, blending well. Stir in 1/2 - 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips and nuts (if using). Spread into a greased 8 inch square dish. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
Microwave (on high if you can) 5-7 minutes, rotating dish half way through cooking time if your microwave doesn't have a turn table, until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
Cool and cut into bars. 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

YUM!!!
I can almost taste it :)