Thursday, November 3, 2011

Book In Review

I can officially take another book out of my "to read" pile and mark it read as I move it to the shelf.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (in a nutshell) is about Mikael Blomkvist, a financial reporter and Lisbeth Salander, a private investigator. In the beginning of the book Mikael is found guilty in a libel case and is sentenced to do jail time. The dates for his sentence are not immediate and while he is waiting to go to jail he leaves his job, as a financial reporter. He is then hired by Henrik Vanger to write his family's autobiography and find the answers to the unsolved disappearance of his niece over 20 years before.

My thoughts? 
So very sweet of you to ask!

I liked it. I thought it was really well written. 
I didn't realize going in that this is book one of three but I am considering reading the next one. 
I found the character of Lisbeth a little confusing for most of the book but towards the end it is mentioned that Mikael thinks she may have Asburgers. Knowing this made it a bit easier for me to understand her character, which is the only reason I share it here - I don't think I'm ruining anything... 

And now on to the next book!
Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Have you read any good books lately?

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I've been debating reading GWTDT. I tend to think that if everyone is raving about a book, there is probably something great about it. My only hesitation is that I'm afraid it will be too dark! But you've given me something to think about--thanks for the review!

Lisa said...

There are some spots in the book that are dark, 2 spots that I can think of right off the bat, one bothered a friend of mine but it didn't bother me while the other creeped me out quite a bit but she was fine with it. Those spots happen quite quickly in the book though (I think they only take up about a chapter or two each) so you could read through them quite quickly. I'm not big into "thriller" books and it didn't bother me at all once I got over those parts.