Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Root Beer Bunt Cake

I love bunt cake. 
I love cake, but put it in a bunt pan and I love it more!
I don't know why... really, what's so special about a bunt cake?
It's like a giant donut of cake goodness that's what!

A while back we went to our neighbors for a BBQ and a bonfire and I tasked myself with bringing the dessert.
I wanted to do something a little different and I wanted to make it in a bunt pan. 
I stood in our pantry looking at everything we had, trying to think of baking possibilities, when I stopped on a can of root beer. I remembered seeing a recipe, once upon a time, for a Root Beer Bunt Cake in one of my cook books. 
I frantically surfed through all my cook books until I found that glorious recipe.
It was so good. 
I didn't think it would actually hold the Root Beer flavor, but it did, especially in the icing!


Root Beer Bunt Cake

Cake
2 cups root beer
1 cup coco powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/4 white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 and go crazy with non stick spray in your bunt pan.
In a large saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter until the butter melts. Mix in both sugars until dissolved and take the pan off the heat - let it cool.
In a bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt.
In, yet another, bowl whisk the eggs and then mix into the cooled root beer mixture.
Add the flour to the root beer mixture and gently fold until just combined - be sure not to over mix or the cake could turn out tough.
Pour the cake batter into the greased bunt pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, rotating the pan half way through baking time, until a tester comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely before trying to remove it from the pan. Once cool loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and turn it out onto the rack (or your serving platter).

Frosting
2 oz dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp.
1/4 cup root beer
2/3 cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups powder sugar

Put everything into a food processor and pulse until the frosting is smooth and shiny.

It makes a bunch of icing, but I loaded it all up on the cake... and it was wonderful.

So. Flippin'. Delicious.
(recipe found in this book)

3 comments:

Margot said...

This looks pretty delish! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :) I dream about moving out to NL - I lived there for about six months to work at Gros Morne one summer. What town do you live in?

Unknown said...

Yummy! I'm pinning this on Pinterest and can't wait to try it out.

Casandra said...

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. I'm (old) newbie and will visit your blog. Stop by mine to see crafty fabric creations.